wedding

wedding

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Post-Op and Next Steps

We had a big snowstorm Friday, so the fertility clinic called me Thursday morning to let me know they'd be closed and to reschedule my post-op exam for the following Wednesday, the next time my doctor would be at this location. I panicked and said I have already been out of work for a broken foot since December 9th, am hoping at Monday's appointment to get approval to go back to work Tuesday, and no way could I then take off again Wednesday. The receptionist was very understanding and said she would call the doctor when she gets out of surgery to see if she could fit me in this afternoon, but I'd have to be ready to run there the second she notifies me of any availability. So that's what happened, and I'm so grateful to have it overwith!

Dr. K showed me photos of my uterus and some other random organs and my cyst, but it honestly just looked like a jumble of gross slimy things so I don't know what was what and was too embarrassed to ask more specifics. Then she checked out my incisions and said everything was healing beautifully, and she took out my stitches. She said to stop taking the birth control pill and then wait one full cycle for my next real period and then we could start that next cycle! There are many steps in between, though, so I think we will have to wait another one before we will be fully ready.

I had to meet with a physician assistant there afterward, and she explained all the next steps to me. (I had Nicole on speakerphone so she could hear it too - she had scheduled to take me in Friday but couldn't leave work suddenly to come to this make-up appointment, and was very upset about it.) It was so overwhelming that after a few minutes, I had to interrupt her and ask for a pen and paper because I felt like I had no idea what I was supposed to do next. I needed to write down clear steps. The PA patiently went back over it one by one so that I could get myself organized. What a process! I'm going to write it as a list here so that it helps clarify it for me and just keeps it less muddled descriptively as well.


  1. We both need to get bloodwork done, though Nicole's will not be tested for quite as many things as mine will be. But since we are sexually involved, they need to know if she has HIV, Hepatitis, etc., anything that could jeopardize my health or the developing fetus.
  2. I need "counsel bloodwork" done at the clinic (the other bloodwork has to be done at a lab) to do genetic testing. If anything comes up, that will be cross-referenced with the donor's results to make sure it's a safe match.
  3. We need to make an appointment with a social worker to have a session of counseling around using donor sperm. This is required of anyone using donor gametes for whatever reason, eggs or sperm. They want to make sure we understand the implications and are ready for the responsibility. I get it, especially when a clinic wants to make sure they're covering their ass and you can't accuse them later of not having done such-and-such, but it still feels a little demeaning to have to go to another LCSW (I'm an LCSW) for them to assess me and approve me to become pregnant. I'm accepting it, but I'm struggling with it a little.
  4. Once her assessment is in my file at the clinic, their office will accept sperm to wash and store for me. I need to order four vials of unwashed sperm to be shipped to the Melville office where insemination will take place. It makes sense to go ahead and have four vials on hand, but for some reason we hadn't prepared ourselves that we'd be paying for more than one at a time! We had budgeted for one vial a month until I get pregnant, not figuring it as a lump sum. $470 just quickly went to almost $2000! The clinic wants it unwashed because they don't trust the banks to do as good of a job as they do.
  5. When we're ready to start, no sooner than two periods from now, I need to call the day I get my period and schedule to come in eight days later (Cycle Day 8) because I have shorter than average cycles. They will begin testing me daily for ovulation, and as soon as I test positive, I have to be ready to go right to the Melville office for insemination, and wheeeee here we go!
  6. I need to start prenatal vitamins today. PRENATAL VITAMINS. This just got really real, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment