wedding

wedding

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Intro to Judaism - Week 5

To cut or not to cut? Never before was that a question.

When we first started talking about conversion, I told Nicole that I felt so strongly against circumcision that no way would I allow "them" to pressure me into it if we have a baby boy. Even if it meant being ostracized, I couldn't do something to my child that I felt was wrong just to fit in or receive approval.

Don't try to tell me it's "cleaner." The American Medical Association stopped recommending it years and years ago, acknowledging that there was no medical benefit. Circumcision for non-religious reasons is really an American and Canadian phenomenon - why is that? Is all of, say, Europe just filthy people? And if it's so much cleaner, and we can't just teach our boys how to properly wash themselves, shouldn't we start removing labia so we don't have to teach girls how to clean between them either? Sure would make it easier and "cleaner."

There is an evolutionary reason for the foreskin. It's protective and it maintains the sexual sensitivity of the glans by keeping it moist instead of dry and callused. And for every story of someone who had issues with their foreskin as an older child or adult and had to have it removed then, there is a story of a botched circumcision that left the male with discomfort the rest of their lives. So don't give me those anecdotes as a reason to circumcise either.

What it comes down to is that I have trouble with the idea of making a permanent alteration to my child's body without their consent, when I see no necessity for it. I've had a couple Jewish people mention how it's cleaner and "looks nicer" - which is of course entirely subjective, as I've only ever been exposed to an uncircumcised penis (my first sexual partner and boyfriend of six years) and think THAT looks nicer - but no one is going to win me with that argument. A religious conviction that this is the best thing for my child would be the ONLY thing that could convince me. It doesn't make sense to me for a Jew to try to convince me of the cleanliness of it, or other perceived benefits, when Jews have never circumcised for that reason.

I told Nicole that I can't wait to actually sit down with our rabbi to talk about this, because I have such a high level of respect for her that I think, if she can approach it sensitively with regard to my concerns and reservations, she might be able to get to me. Unfortunately we have struggled to make appointments with her - we took a break for the Jewish holidays which would keep her very busy, and then the hurricane happened and threw everything out of whack.

Then I read the assigned readings in regards to circumcision, and DAMMIT if they don't know how to get to me. The writers acknowledge that there is no other reason to do it except for the fact that it is a covenant with God. The fact that they don't try to convince the reader on other reasons for it took down that initial guard I have up when the topic arises. I found myself being less resistant and more open to what I was reading, and understanding better the reason for it. I also found myself feeling less scared of the actual procedure, which seems so different in a loving, celebratory home environment in the arms of a godparent than strapped to a board in a hospital.

I'm still struggling with it, and probably always will, but I think that's okay. I do have to say I'm surprised that I'm even considering it, though. And while it's a relief in some ways, it's also a bit of a disappointment. I've been such an advocate against circumcision (mostly just against doing it based on myths - I think parents should do their own research before making a decision instead of just going along with it) and it's kind of a let down to be going backward. I still feel uncertain and I still have a hard time with making such a permanent alteration to my child's perfect body, but I also don't want my own militance on the issue to compromise my son's sense of spirituality and connectedness to his God and his community.

7 comments:

  1. Part of me totally bristles at the thought of you 'giving in'.... but the other part of me realizes there are things in my faith that I struggle with, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they are true or should be followed. It's tough, isn't it!? One thing I read somewhere that maybe you could bring up with your rabbi, is that some people just make a knick on the foreskin. It makes a teensy scar and draws blood, but is nothing like the circumcision we typically think of. I wonder if that would be an option? Also, we prayed for you at Mass yesterday. One of our petitions was for Jews celebrating Hannukah (and maybe the Festival of lights or something?). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely difficult - and yet I know I can't just pick and choose the parts that are fun and enjoyable. *sigh* Drawing a "drop of blood" is sometimes (not always, depends on how strict the rabbi is) an acceptable alternative to adult convert circumcision, but not for infants entering the covenant.

      Yes, Hanukkah is referred to as the festival of lights. It's about the Jews rising up against the Greeks who were killing any Jews who worshiped God (instead of pagan gods), circumcised, etc. A tiny group of Jews was able to overcome a massive group of Greeks, reclaim Judea, and rededicate their temple. So it's about resisting assimilation and keeping your identity. In rededicating the temple, they went to light the candle which should be kept lit at all times, and there was only enough oil for one day - however it burned for all 8 days while they celebrated Sukkot belatedly (since the Greeks wouldn't allow it in October) and that's the miracle that is celebrated on Hanukkah, symbolized by the menorah.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post. You are truly becoming Jewish- becoming part of Israel- "one who wrestles with God." There is part of me that wants to tell you just to wait and see if you have a boy or a girl, but then there is the part of me that is happy you are wrestling with the issues.
    There are a number of things within Judaism that we are instructed to do "because God says so," such as keeping Kosher. That doesn't make it easy- but it does set us apart.
    Again, I'm so impressed with your post, your thoughts, and yes- even your struggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that's EXACTLY what I said to our rabbi when we met with her a week ago!!! I told her that at my midway point on this issue, my stance was "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it," and I just kind of hoped we had girls. But then I realized that avoiding it, or possibly not ever having to have a stance in the event that we DON'T have boys, would make me feel like I'm missing something. I felt like I should know how I feel and wrestle with it not just because I'm forced to out of circumstance. I love that you picked that up!!

      Delete
  3. Well, I know you know my stance in this issue, not that you asked but in need to offer: I love and trust your opinion and your journey thus far. I respect your courage and stance in the hope that you may face this issue head on, and I simply must share that the reasons you give for possible circumcision are genuinely the best I've ever understood.
    However, God knows we get what it's like to feel set apart, don't you think? I hope you decide to let your son decide how significant his fore skin will be to his life of faith. Some choices, they never get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You love and trust my opinion but hope I will make the decision YOU think is right.

      This is my battle and I will figure it out. But honestly I think it's bothering me way more than either decision would bother my son down the road.

      Delete