wedding

wedding

Friday, November 30, 2012

Intro to Judaism - Week 4

This week's topic is prayer - and what a rich topic it is for me. I have wrestled with prayer since I was a kid old enough to start thinking about the meaning of it. I struggled with questions such as: Do we have a right to be asking for things? Are some things too petty to ask for? How does praying for someone work? And "prayer chains"? Is it a popularity contest where someone without enough prayers may die? If praying hard enough or fervently enough helped someone heal, then wouldn't the converse be true as well, and what does that say about our "merciful" God? And if praying doesn't help yourself or others with a requested improvement, then what's the point?

My sister told me some time ago, and I've since read it in Jewish texts and heard it from our rabbi, that her priest had said prayer is more about your relationship with God. I write more about that here. Prayer strengthens my faith and my sense of comfort and peace. Prayer helps me focus on my goals and desires and propels me toward action. Prayer reminds me of what is needed by those I love. Prayer centers me. Prayer impacts how I relate to others.

That one shift in perspective on the purpose of prayer and how it works has impacted my entire sense of spirituality. It made me feel like I could return to prayer, and I've slipped back into it almost seamlessly - a little awkward at first, but it was like riding a bike.

Also, to end this brief post on a random note, one of my readings mentioned that there are three types of prayer - petition, thanksgiving, and praise/worship - and that you should avoid prayers of petition on Shabbat since it is God's day of rest. Whether or not most Reform Jews adhere to this, I have no idea - but it immediately made sense to me in a sweet way, and I have embraced it as something meaningful for me. It has been an enjoyable and fulfilling challenge to spend my silent moment of prayer in services making sure that I am only offering up praise or gratitude.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh I really like that last part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that you are having such a positive connection with prayer. As I mentioned in class, I believe prayer to be a dialogue with God. We have fixed prayers- fixed conversations and those that come straight from the heart. I believe that while we may want to refrain from asking for certain things from God on Shabbat- that we should be able to "say" whatever we need to say to God whenever we need to say it- be it a request for health, for forgiveness or simply an opportunity to say "Thanks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of that before and wondered how many people actually follow that, but it resonated for me personally so I'm eagerly grasping it. It's a challenge every single Shabbat, and that's what I like about it - it really helps me focus on other types of prayer - thanks and praise - which don't come quite as easily.

      Delete